The Buzzer

by Jonathan on June 5, 2007

This fly is the number one in my fly box. There is rarely a days fishing goes by without this little beauty being on my leader. It is easy to tie and uses the bare minimum of materials. The very basic fly can be tied using only a hook, black tying thread and silver wire with a couple of coats of clear varnish.

You can paint on fluorescent orange wing buds on the thorax, or tie in orange floss strips instead, you can tie in fluorescent red or green tying thread at the tail . All small trigger points designed to catch the eye of the trout.

The other colours you can tie, and all have their day, are as follows. Olive,  red , orange and brown. There is also a slimmed down version known as the skinny buzzer usually in black or brown.

Materials

• Hook Buzzer 10, 12, 14. (Kamasan  B100 for skinny and Roydlures for heavy.
  • Body Black tying thread.
  • Thorax Black tying thread
  • Rib Silver wire
  • Breathers (Optional)
  • White floss

Dave C. and the Team

{ 108 comments… read them below or add one }

DaveC January 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hi Frank
Thanks for your e-mail. I was beginning to think i was the only 87 yr. old on the planet. You give me hope for a few more years fishing for trout. I must confess to having goe overboard this week ….2 days( about 3hrs each) fly fishing one of the club trout lakes . Managed 3 and 4 rainbows on fly despite the cold wind. 2 days fishing the river Derwent for grayling and the odd kamikaze trout on bait…..bloody cold up there but had quite a few fish. We have just had a brief break in the weather and the river had settled down but the forecast for the next week is not good.
Keep on fishing and may your God go with you.
Regards
DaveC

Frank Pegg December 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Hi Dave,
I have been following your demos for a number of years now and you have taught me a lot. I am 89 years young and will be 9o on March 3rd 2013 and still fishing at 8000′ in the Sierras. Everything is frozen right now, so I spend my time updating my equipment and TYING FLIES. Keep up yhe good work
FRank

Steve September 24, 2012 at 8:40 am

Dear David, you are a true artist, thank you for sharing.

chris key July 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm

hi have found your way of teaching fly tying really helpful
after watching you when i was just looking to start made it look realy easy
im going to scotland in july and was looking into doing some fishing is there any salmon and trout pattams you would recommend
thanks for you help and look forward to hearing from you

Levi June 1, 2012 at 8:26 am

Hello David!

Keep this site going! I just got a fly tying kit for my birthday and your videos were the first ones I have watched and to be frank about it I don’t think I will go else where. I just tied my first fly watching your video. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make a site like this! I’m sure the Canadian fish will now tremble ;)

JonR January 5, 2011 at 1:13 am

I found some really nice old red silk. So I tied up a couple of Buzzers with nice bright bodies. Put on the head cement and now they are kind of … well not red.
Question. Should I not have used cement on the head or is it the nature of the beast that it will leach through the old silks?

Mark Askew June 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Dear David
i went fy fishing for the first time in about 25 years recently on a small lake near where I live in Coventry. It was a hot windess day and not a fish was moving. Nothing had been caught since 8am (it was now 1.30) I put on a black buzzer I had tied (size 10) and got into my fis fish within 10 minutes! beating everyone else who were using a range of lures.
It just goes to show simple flies work even when mserpeices fail!

rosario garofalo January 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

dear mr cammss all my life i was hooked on fishing my granfather along with my father were trout fisherman fishing the stocked streams of new jersey but i was the only one who took a intrest in fly fishing and then one day i found your web site baught my self a fly tying kit and i cant thank you enuff i am hooked on fly tying now there is nothing like tying a fly and watching a 20 in 5pound brookie trout the wooly bugger you just tyed